If your home is feeling more drafty than usual or you notice a spike in energy bills when you’re trying to keep your home cool or warm, you might suspect that you need more insulation. One of the most common places for insulation problems is in the attic. Most older homes today have already installed attic insulation in ND, but that insulation may be very old and broken down. Or, you may have done a DIY job or had a professional install insulation a few years ago, but you suspect you still need more.
Without the help of a professional, knowing whether or not you need to add insulation to your attic can be difficult. Thankfully, there are a few signs you can look for to give you answers. Before you call a professional for additional attic insulation in ND, check out some of these things:
- Look at your floor joists: The most basic way to determine if you need more insulation in your attic is to visually assess the insulation that’s already there. Specifically, look at the amount of insulation between the floor joists. If you can see the floor joists because the insulation level is below them, or if they are even with the amount of insulation, you might want to consider adding more. If you cannot see the floor joists because insulation is covering them, you probably have enough.
- Check the insulation distribution: After you check the height of your insulation, make sure that the insulation level is even from floor to ceiling and in every spot. Sometimes the problem only lies with certain areas because the insulation is uneven. If there are low spots, you should add more insulation to make all sections even.
- Insulation age: If you happen to know how old your attic insulation in ND is, that can be a good indicator of when it’s time to add new material. If your existing insulation is over 10 years old, you likely need additional insulation because it can break down over time.
- Uneven temperatures: Walk around your house and into different rooms after leaving the doors open to create a more even temperature. Do you notice any rooms that are significantly colder than others? If so, you may have problems with your attic insulation directly above those rooms and should add more.
- Consult a professional: If you’re still not sure whether your attic has enough insulation, contact a professional insulation expert and ask their opinion. They know the ins and outs of insulation and will be able to tell you exactly how you can cut energy costs by installing new insulation in areas that need it. Look for one that offers free estimates to save money up front.
Are you unsure of whether you need additional attic insulation in ND? Call Interstate Insulation! For the past decade, we’ve been your local experts on any insulation type, providing installation and maintenance for commercial and residential clients. We also offer DIY insulation kits and quality materials. Call us today for your free estimate!
Categorised in: Attic Insulation
This post was written by Writer